Monday, October 18, 2010

Go Figure

Go Figure…

Matthew 7:11

Good Day ~

This morning I did what I do most mornings. I headed out the door to say good morning to Herschel the wonder pup. But he wasn’t in his usual spots. Instantly my antenna went up. It’s not usually a good thing for him when I can’t find him. That means he’s probably not obeying and he’s about to experience a very unpleasant morning. Sure enough, just as I walk outside the garage door, I hear the little jingle of his collar prancing down the steps of the upstairs guest house; a place definitely off limits to the pooch. He loves to go up there when he’s filthy dirty and spy on the neighbors! Go figure. It infuriates me when sneaks up there. He makes a terrible mess. I still haven’t had the courage to tackle the mud bath disaster he created on his last escapade up there.

Instead of greeting my dog with a cheery song and a belly rub, my body tenses, my eyebrows furrow as I bellow out, “Herschel Walker! What are you doing up there. No, no, no! You know you’re not supposed to be up there.” Whether he actually understands why he is in trouble or not, he definitely gets the drift that I am not a happy camper. His initial happy little, “Oh, there you are!” look, turns into a “uh-oh… there you are” look, complete with droopy ears and a very still tail in the downward position.

I spank him, show him up the stairs and repeatedly say the phrase he is most familiar with at this stage in his young life, “No! No! No!”. Then I grab his collar and drag his big furry self into his kennel to reinforce my point.

All that to say, I hate doing that… I wanted the first words I spoke to him to be cheerful and playful, not stern and disciplinary. I felt bad for me and for him. He is a very affectionate dog and he would have enjoyed my playful banter with him. I usually find a way to give him a little special treat or at the least, he wags his tail a lot when I come to talk to him, but not this morning.

It sounds silly, but I couldn’t shake my disappointment in that scenario. He’s just a dog, but I hate that I had to punish him before I even got to say hello. I just wanted to be in sweet fellowship with him. Honestly, it was no sweat off my back that Herschel spent the morning in the kennel. I went about the rest of my routine without a hitch, but I felt sad because I wanted to give him some good things.

I began to think about God. I wonder how many times he feels disappointed that He can’t give me things He’s prepared for me because I won’t obey or listen or maybe worse, I’m not interested. I wonder how many things He must withhold from me to teach me. I love the verse in Matthew 7:11 that says, “If ye then being evil know how to give good things to your children, how much more shall the Father which is in Heaven give good gifts to them that ask Him?” Why do we think that God doesn’t want good for us? If I want good for my dog, how much more must He long for good for us! I sure don’t want my wrong choices to limit His goodness to me, do you?

Hope & Glory! to You ~ Love

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment