Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Feelings, Whoa, Whoa, Whoa Feelings…

Numbers 13 & 14

Hey Everyone ~

“Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn’t permanent.” Jean Kerr.

When I was in elementary school God gave me such a funny friend. I don’t mean funny like weird. I mean funny like - she could make me laugh till I wet my pants- kind of funny! One of her regular routines was to act out singing the song, “Feelings…whoa, whoa, whoa, feelings...” No matter how many times I saw her do it, it seemed as funny as the first time.

As time went on her solo act became a duet, with me singing back up. We’d start off acting like we were world-renowned recording artist on a grandiose stage. In our most poised positions we would begin to sing. As the song progressed, despite these “singers” best efforts to keep their emotions at bay, they would become more and more emotionally wrapped up in the lyrics they were singing. By the end of the song these “professionals” were nothing short of blubbering idiots on stage with no sense of pride or shame, lamenting unabashedly their “feelings, whoa, whoa, whoa, feelings…” It was great fun!

But in real life, feelings can be brutal. I know sometimes how we feel ain’t good! If by chance you find yourself reading this and you’re feeling “hopeless” it may be because you feel the feeling you have IS permanent. But I encourage you to hang in there. It may not really be! I’m speaking to myself too!

I love to remember Joshua and Caleb in Numbers 13 &14.When the other spies looked at the enemy they said, “…we saw giants…and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers…”

The problem seems to be that they were looking at it from their own sight. But don’t ya know God is so much more than our sight can see! He has things up his sleeve we have no idea about. Oh, what a relief. Someone bigger and greater and wiser is in charge! And he loves you to death!

Sometimes when were battling our thinking and feelings, being around other believers helps shake us back to the truth of God and His word. That is one of the beauties of being a part of a church. Whatever you do, “…don’t forsake assembling yourself together with others.” Hebrews 10:25

Hope & Glory! to You ~ Love

Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. I remember that, along with many other wonderful memories! How about writing down "yes" or "no" on a piece of paper and then exchanging them to see if we wanted to do the same thing or not? And "gonna go on the roller coaster, aaaannnd..." I also remember stirring up some crazy concoction at your house and trying to eat it. Oh my, thanks for a trip down memory lane!!
    Kris :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do remember! Also for some reason the whole crazy thing with a bowl of strawberries and " You can carry 1/2 & I can carry 1/2". My oh my! Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete