Tuesday, January 10, 2012

For Pete's Sake...

Disappointment With God is a book written by Phillip Yancy. During the writing of the book he found himself in the Chicago O' Hare Airport enduring a 5 hour flight delay on his way to attend a conference. The long delay and the late hour combined to create a melancholy mood. Next to him sat a wise, Godly woman headed to the same conference. During those long hours the two had plenty of time to rehash all of their childhood dysfunctions, the disappointments with the church, and their questions of faith.

Then for several minutes Phillip poured out his questions and frustrations about God... Because of the research he had done for his book, he felt burdened by other people's pain and sorrow. His mind rolled around trying to explain all the disappointments, the unanswered prayers. His new friend listened to him as he unpacked the questions of his heart. And then out of nowhere she asked a question that he says has stayed with him a long time. She asked, "Phillip. Phillip, do you ever just let God love you?"

I heard this story during one of Chuck Swindol's messages. It stopped me in my tracks. I've been trying so hard to get it all done and to do it all well; striving for something, but I don't even know for sure what! I too wear the burden of others heartaches and the wrongs of society. Suddenly I felt those words grasp my heart on both sides and force me to look up. I heard God say, "Rebecca! Rebecca, will you ever just let Me love you?"

Then it dawned on me. God's been trying to get my attention. He's been trying to love me. These unexpected blessings lately, it's been God saying, "Rebecca, for Pete's sake, will you just let Me love you?"

That is why He came, you know. Why else would He leave His dream job, His dream home, His best friends? He did it so we could be in relationship with Him. He is such a humble, sacrificial God! Let that wash over you today!

Jeremiah 31:3 "... I have loved thee with an everlasting love, therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee."

So I ask you..."Will you ever just let Him love you?"

Hope & Glory! To You ~ Love

Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouraging words, Rebecca. It is just that simple isn't it. Take time and let God love on you for a few minutes. I am glad He draws me to His side. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes... but I often forget in my quest to be a good little girl that He doesn't need me, but just wants me! Thank you so much for the comment :) Bless you today!

    ReplyDelete