Monday, May 4, 2015

Mother's Day perspective from the sideline...


All I ever wanted to be when I grew up was a wife and a mother.  (Well, in third grade I wanted to be a poet.  I still remember tinges of my first creation – something about a red hen who drank a coke and then he awoke…)
So imagine my surprise when year after year I still had no children of my own. I still can’t believe it sometimes. Barrenness is a deep indescribable pain.  Those who’ve experienced this bursting of the heart understand there are no adequate words to describe its private ache.  I remember asking God if I could just have a miscarriage so I’d know I had a child in Heaven.

I used to look forward to Mother’s Day like you’d look forward to salt being poured in your wound.  On regular days your heart could be nursed in the closet, but holidays shoved it out bold into the party.  Days like Christmas and Mother’s Day.  It’s difficult to smile and nod when your heart is about to explode into deep guttural sobs. 

I always pulled out my brave mask to wear to church on Mother’s Day.  Asking all the mothers to stand no doubt it made it especially sweet for first time moms.  They’d been waiting for the day they could be added to the sorority of motherhood.  Church planners meant the gesture to be strictly honoring, but had no idea how it cut so many to the core.

Then there were the first few Mother’s Days after I married my husband.  He has a darling son, which makes me automatic “stepmom” regardless of circumstances. At first I didn’t really know what my obligations were as a “stepmom”.  (Just for the record what the heck does that mean anyway!)
It felt horribly awkward those first few years when we were all trying to navigate through this stepmother business, especially at Mother’s Day.  It all felt so unnatural for Pete’s sake. 

Take the poor child for example. That dear boy has a mother who loves him. She is very much his mother, as she should be. Praise God he actually did like me, to which I’m so grateful, but I knew he felt torn with his natural loyalty to his own mother.  I certainly didn’t want to cause him more confusion and hurt.

But not just him, actually, poor everyone! They tip toed around the day not knowing for sure what to do. Friends and family who knew my ache did their best to make it feel like a real mother’s day for me even though the child was away celebrating with his mom. I appreciated it to no end, really I did.  I know they love me and wanted me to be happy and honored.  

And actually poor me too… (And poor you too if you find yourself in these shoes.) I didn’t know what in the world I was supposed to do.  I knew I wasn’t the boy’s mom.  I wasn’t trying to take her God given place.  But I didn’t want to sound like I didn’t care and love the boy.  So for a few years I tried to play the charade. 

Finally, after the dust settled, I knew it was time to clear the air.  I said to my husband, “Honey.  I love the boy.  I know that God has allowed him in my life and I’m thankful.  We have a unique and special relationship.  I don’t know exactly what you call it, but I also know it’s not mother…” 

He listened… processing…It took some for him to realize our home wouldn’t just pick up where he and the boy left off when she decided to leave.  Then the tension lifted and he put it all in perspective for us, “No, but you are the mother of this home…” 

Yes. Yes I was.  That I could handle.  I could take a rightful place in that role.  I would always defer to the boy’s God given mother.  I would do my best never to interfere with their parenting, regardless of my personal choices.  They would always be honored as his mother and father in my eyes. 

Actually maybe this new role wouldn’t be so bad.  Mother’s have a lot of responsibility.  It’s their job to discipline and correct.  I’m not the mother so my role is only to support the guidelines they initiate.  So maybe I’m not on the short end of the stick… That leaves me to laugh and play!

If you’re a stepmom (Could we please come up with some other term?  All I can think of is Cinderella’s story) with children who have a mother this Mother’s Day, God bless you!  We have our own secret sorority. I know you sacrifice a lot that others will never know.  But God sees you.  Please trust that His way is good. I know it’s probably not what you imagined, but He has a special role for you to play…regardless of what they call it!

Much Love ~
Rebecca 













No comments:

Post a Comment