Friday, August 6, 2010

You Are What You Eat
Hi Ya Girls!

Think back over the last 24 – 72 hours (if you can remember that far back!) What have you had to eat? If the statement - you are what you eat - is really true, then I am potato chips, TAB, chocolate, toast (with healthy bread mind you), a little processed turkey, chicken, French fries and a few onion rings. I’m not very proud of that list. I generally try to watch what I eat. And if I eat like that every now and then, I don’t really see much negative effect. If I ate like that every day? Well, we all know eventually I’d have to go shopping for bigger clothes.
While I definitely believe it’s important to eat healthy (and as mothers to make sure your kids don’t have McDonald’s every night) that’s not really what I mean when I say, “What have you had to eat lately”. What I really mean is what has your mind and your spirit had to eat?
Recently while I was sick, I found myself watching more TV than usual. I was sick… what else was I supposed to do, right? But before I even realized it, my thinking began morphing into more like those who don’t care about God. I started focusing more on material things and how I looked and what others thought. Oh, it was subtle at first. I’d see something that was wrong and instantly recognize it. I’d change the channel or constantly be refuting it in my mind. But gradually (and quite quickly I might add) I found myself watching a program even though I knew it wasn’t good for me. The changes happened so seamlessly I barely even noticed them.
So let me ask you again. Think back over the last 24 – 72 hours. What has your mind and spirit had to eat? Is it possible that your diet has been nothing but junk food? At what point will you say enough of the trash? Here’s the crazy part, I actually like to eat healthy food. Many times I don’t because it’s a lot easier to eat the junk! I think the same is true of the food for our minds and soul. It’s so easy to plop down and turn on the tube. But maybe you would try turning it off every now and then. Believe it or not you’ll survive ☺ Find a good book. Start a healthy hobby. It’s important… enough malnutrition. Let’s feed our minds with the pure, rich, life-giving food of the Word! Read Psalm 1 and be encouraged today ☺

Hope & Glory! to You ~ Love
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment