Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Disappointments Reveal ~ Is that good or is that bad?


Psalm 8:1 
Hi All ~
      I'm learning...ever so slowly and unfortunately in a rather hit and miss fashion...that often God uses my disappointments to reveal Himself. (O.K.... so is that good or bad?  I think it's both - I mean honestly - who likes to be disappointed, but who doesn't want to learn more about God? Anyway...) 
     I love my husband.  I enjoy him and I'm so thankful for him...however...ahem... He hurt my feelings last week. (I originally wrote this a while back, but needed the reminder today!) Sometimes in married life, couples are really in sync, ya know?  Things are just clicking on all cylinders and being married comes easy. But we all know that at other times, circumstances and responsibilities change.  Life gets hectic and spending time together becomes a challenge and hard work. Ronnie & I are currently in one of those stages in life when our different worlds and responsibilities are fighting against each other, so we have to work a little harder to be together in meaningful ways. It happens.  That's life. 
     A few nights ago I mentioned to him, "Hey, hon... we need a hobby to do together!"  He looked at me with tinge of fear in his eyes wondering at what I might have in mind. (I've been known to have a few wild hair ideas, so I totally understood the glaze.)  I admired his bravery to ask the question he spoke with much fear and trepidation, "What exactly did you have in mind?"  Lucky for him I answered, "Oh, I don't know. What would you like?"  I say lucky for him because he really does try to appease me and since I didn't offer any suggestions, he dodged that awkward position of having to participate in a crazy idea, and managed to escape the challenge of finding a way to wiggle out of it.  
     He didn't say anything at first and then during the next TV commercial he announced, "We could work out."  **Heart drop, blah, frown**  That is not what I had in mind. I know I said I didn't have anything in mind, but I know I didn't have that in mind!  Ronnie however, loves to work out and while I do love to exercise and stay fit, I would rather go to a Zumba or dance class...I dropped the subject for the rest of the night, however, my wheels turned on the topic.
     All night I weighed the pros and cons.  Finally I realized that if he is willing to spend some extra time with me, I'll do anything!  He loves to work out and who knows maybe I would actually enjoy it too.  I started to image our workouts together... I could praise him and gloat over his big muscles. And he would push me and cheer me on, "Come on Rebecca... You got this. Three more, two more, come on babe one more!  Yeah! You did it !"  Yes, this might be a good thing!  
     The next day during our morning routine I told him the good news.  I'd love for us to work out together. Ronnie turned to me as he headed out the door and said,  "O.K.  This is what you need to do today..." Then he proceeded to give me a list of exercises I should do while he was GONE.   Yes, that's what I said – gone. There would be no time spent together... no cheering... no pushing... just a list of things to accomplish...alone.  Hurt my feelings!  I imagined us working together, not separate! 
     That morning as I began my new workout assignments, I bemoaned my unfulfilled desire to complete these with Ronnie by my side.  I thought about how I desired to work out not because I wanted to, but because I loved being with Ronnie.  And I wondered... is that one of the reasons God gives us assignments?  He likes to be with us?  I realized that even at that moment as I contemplated the thought; He was there...longing to be recognized, longing to be welcomed, longing to participate in life together. Then the Holy Spirit whispered into my heart.  "Rebecca, I never send you on a task or bring you a new day without being with you.  You are never sent off to handle it by yourself.  I am ever present."  
     My heart warmed.  My Heavenly Father never leaves us nor forsake us, but will be with us to the end!  He never gives me a divine appointment that He won't be with me every step of the way!  I'm so thankful to serve a God like that!  "What is man that He is mindful of him?" (Psalm 8:1)  I can't explain why God desires relationship with us, but He does and I'm so grateful!  I don’t know about you but I needed that reminder today!
(Oh, and by the way… I am happy to report that R& I are back to one of those easy times to be married J)
      
Hope & Glory To You~ Love
Rebecca

4 comments:

  1. Great Article, Rebecca. It is so important to make time for each other in a marriage. I am glad you have a husband who loves you so much. I am truly blessed with a wonderful hubby too. Though you may go through hard times, it make the easy times even sweeter because of what you have endured together. Also, to know that God is with both of you makes all the difference. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amy ~ I am so BLESSED with my husband. I just really can't believe God has allowed me to be a part of his life :) But even as wonderful as he is, at the end of the day, God is my dearest friend. It is just such a comfort to me to know my Father is always with me! Blessings to you :)

    ReplyDelete