Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Just 30 Seconds…

Hebrews 13:16
Hi Gang ~ 
     There are usually signs… In my case the evidence laid bare right in front of my face, day after day.  I don’t know when it started, but eventually the little thing caught my attention.  I just hoped I hadn’t waited too long to step in…poor thing…  There it sat.  Thirsty, sun soaked, requiring just a tiny bit of attention...and water!  
     Yes, perched in my kitchen window sat my ivy.  How could I have missed it!  I walk by it several times a day, often staring at it in my role as Dishwasher Fairy…(My boys still believe the dishes magically move from sink to dishwasher…that’s for another day!) I admire it often.  It cheers me and reminds me how living things bring a wonderful energy and vibrancy to a room…unless of course the caretaker neglects to supply its basic need.  I vaguely remember thinking I detected a couple of yellowing leaves in the last several days.  But life has been so hectic lately...  Finally this morning the pale, wilted foliage squeaked out a raspy, “Help me!”
     I snapped to my senses and stuck my finger in the dirt as if I were taking its pulse.  Yep, just as I suspected (I’m pretty quick with these things).  Dry as a bone.  I grabbed the dying plant and rushed it under the cold running water.  Like tending to its wounds, I ran my fingers through its sprigs removing all the dead and yellowing leaves.  I could almost hear it soaking in a deep breath of relief and as it pushed out a hushed, “Ah, thank you!”
     That’s all it really needed from me.  Just about 30 seconds of my time to give it a drink.  Why did I wait so long to contribute to such a simple fix?  One reason: oblivion to the things around me. Granted, someone put a coin in the ride of my life and at the present, the start button is jammed on the “shake them till their socks fly off” button. But I realized this morning, I’ve been so caught up in my crazy world lately I don’t recognize those around me who may need something as simple as a little water.  Now I mustn’t confuse this with trying to be everyone’s savior.  I can’t meet every need, but I can be sensitive to the Holy Spirit and follow His leading on those He sends into my heart or path.  Maybe they just need a simple smile and kind word.  Maybe I need to express a genuine appreciation for the excellent job they do day in and day out.  Perhaps I could pay for the coffee of the car behind me in the Starbucks line.  Possibly the post on their Facebook page or the text message will be just the drink of water they’ve needed to make it a little bit longer. I could ask my neighbor if they need anything at the store…or if I can do anything to help my husband or child today.  I’ll never forget the stranger – years ago – after a particularly difficult day, motioned me to go first at the four way stop.  His simple kindness restored my hope in people and yes, even life itself…After 20 years, I still remember that moment. Ya just never know!
     After replacing my ivy back to it’s post in my kitchen window I determined to be more aware today.  I prayed, “God, help me to love well.  Help me to pay attention to someone other than myself…Oh and God, could you unjam the “shake them till their socks fly off” button?  J 
 “But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices
God is well-pleased.” Hebrews 13:16

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS POST!!! Keep up the good work. Thanks from high speed photography

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for dropping in and your encouraging words! I appreciate you taking the time to post :) The pictures on your site are amazing... did you take those? I am curious about your name "Always Unlucky" ?

    ReplyDelete