Tuesday, November 15, 2011

One Big Idea...

Hello Everyone ~

I’ve had one big idea sort of …how shall I say it…STAMPEDING through my thoughts this week. It may seem silly to you because it’s certainly not rocket science. In fact it’s quite basic and in a sense I guess I’ve known it all along, but the reality of it just hit me afresh this week. Remember the old fashioned Polaroid film that you could watch develop before your eyes? Yeah, that’s how I felt as the big picture of life came into clearer view.

It all started with a couple of – again – simple questions. Here’s the first one. Who was God’s physical body on earth? Duh…this in not a trick question. Yes, the answer is Jesus. But if you know your Bible, you know that in Acts 1 the disciples watched as Jesus descended into Heaven…so no more God on earth. Just saying that makes me feel empty and hopeless. I wouldn’t want to live one second without Him.

But we also know that the story doesn’t end there. God sent His Spirit to indwell every person who has trusted Him as Savior. (Ephesians 1:13) So question number two: Now who is God’s physical body on earth? This is the big idea that I am just laser stuck on! It’s you and me! We have replaced Jesus…yikes, right? Well, no. Not yikes; more like “Oh my stars!” This is the cool part. When you accepted Christ as your Savior, God gave you a specific gift to use to accomplish His purpose in the body of Christ.

I love how God gives us tangible examples to help us understand spiritual truth. Enter the example from Romans 12:4 – 8 explaining how each member of our physical body is needed for you and me to function at full capacity. We get that; I mean which part of your body would you like to chop off? (ok maybe a few fat cells but…you get the point) He translates that picture into a spiritual truth. Together with other believers we make up the body of Christ. We do not have to be Christ all by ourselves, but we unite together with the other parts of the body to enhance and grow His Kingdom!

Now the body of Christ has parts different from our physical body parts. Instead of hands and bones and internal organs etc…God’s body consists of parts like teaching, exhorting, mercy, administration, giving, helps and the list goes on.

So suddenly this week I get it…I have a huge purpose. I’ve been equipped by God, gifted if you will, to participate in replacing His physical body on this earth. Whoa. But, I don’t have to replace Him by myself. I’m not the only part of the body…in fact I’m only part of the body. If I use my gifts and you use yours…together we make a powerful and beautiful body of Christ.

Do you know what your gifts are? If not, find out! You’ll never be more satisfied and fulfilled then when you fulfill the purpose God has given you! You may be just the hand to go with my fingers. You may be the foot that leads the rest of the body to our place of ministry.

Let’s not leave each other hanging! Together we work ToGetHer! …Or him J

No comments:

Post a Comment