Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Aaaarrrrggggg!!

Aaaarrrrrgggggg!!

Galatians 5:15

Hey Ladies ~

I heard something recently I did not know. I read that when a dog bites once and realizes how rapidly it causes people to back down, they quickly form a habit of biting. It gives the dog a sense of control and power. Hmmmm... interesting. It made perfect sense to me, every one likes the feeling of control and power, apparently even our four footed friends!

Knowing that new little piece of trivia, I couldn’t help but ask myself a few questions. First of all, what mechanism do I use to cause people to retreat when I am in conflict? Losing my temper, the silent treatment, hurtful words- either subtle or bold? If I rant and rave, people submit. Or if I refuse to acknowledge their presence, they quickly come around to do what I want. Why do I do it? ~ Because it works! Unfortunately in this case, success breads success and a habit is very quickly formed. The only problem is – that’s my way of getting my needs met apart from God. Not to mention it makes for unhealthy and even co-dependent relationships. Galatians 5:15 says, “But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.”

Secondly, can I be wise enough to recognize when some one else is using their words and actions to bully me or cause me to retreat? Have you ever been intimidated or felt inferior by someone’s coping mechanisms? God does not intend for you to be manipulated by others. Most control tactics are not based on complete truth and most certainly not based in love. That is not of God. So watch out for those aarrrrgggg (snarling dog sound -not a pirate! ) moments. May God give us wisdom to recognize them and the courage to address them.

Hope & Glory! to You ~ Love

Rebecca

Remember we are “In HIS grip”

No comments:

Post a Comment