Sunday, February 13, 2011

Drama, Distress, Disappointment, Delight!

Happy Valentine’s Day?

Galatians 6:10

Happy Day to You ~

One of my favorite holidays is Valentine’s Day. It didn’t used to be. In elementary school I used to labor over and analyze every Valentine I prepared for our homemade mailboxes! I felt so much pressure. I always worried that the boys would think I liked them. That was a horrible thought, but I didn’t want to leave them out. Or I worried that I should have given friend “A” the valentine I gave to friend “B”, because if friend “A” reads friend “B’s” what will friend “C” think! Oh, the drama.

Then in high school it was even more awkward. All day during school classmates would be receiving singing telegrams and special deliveries. I’d wait with bated breath for a Valentine something from someone! I was usually disappointed that I didn’t get a valentine from the person I really wanted one from; or if I did, it didn’t really say what I was hoping it would say! Oh, the distress.

As I became a young woman in love the anticipation of the great holiday was much more exciting than the actual day. I guess subconsciously I was hoping for a Cinderella experience of being wooed and romanced by my prince charming. Somehow even when I did have someone I really cared about, the day managed to be somewhat of a let down. Oh, the disappointment.

Then came the Valentine’s Day after divorce - yeah, well….

Strangely enough, that’s when my perspective of the day revolutionized, thanks to some really godly, amazing friends. They loved Valentine’s Day! I thought that was odd since many of them were single and had no sweetheart. But this was their favorite holiday…I didn’t get it.

I soon discovered their reason. They loved the day because of the many wonderful people God had placed in their lives. Valentine’s Day was the perfect opportunity to let these people know how much they loved them. Suddenly it dawned on me. All these years my feelings and my hopes had been the center of the day. What is going to happen for me today? Who is going to do something special for me? Me…Me…Me… Do you see a pattern here? I finally learned that Valentine’s Day isn’t about me. When I take the focus off of me and turn into a day to celebrate those God has placed AROUND me…Wow. What a difference it made in my life. Oh the delectable delight of doting on the darlings God’s deposited into my days!

Hope & Glory! to You ~ Love

Rebecca

3 comments:

  1. This is close to what I shared with Student Choir this past Wednesday. After we discussed how so many of them hated the day, we then discussed what they could do to make the day better. I'll have to tell them to read your blog.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I never thought of it this way before. You are sooo right though! I have been wearing black for so many years now on the "V DAY" that it would be odd to wear anything different! From now on, my eyes are open to those around me!! Thank you again for your enlightening post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's cool Eva ~ I know it sure made a difference in how I looked at the day...really every day after that!

    Cracker Quilts - thanks for sharing your thoughts! I am picturing a beautiful pink outfit for you next V's day!

    ReplyDelete