Monday, September 26, 2011

It's Crazy Like That...

Psalm 100

Hey Everybody ~

I heard a guy say: Imagine everything you own and everyone you love being removed from you life (pause a minute to really imagine that devastationall you own, all your relationships, freedoms, pleasures, comforts) …and then you received it all back. Just how thankful would you be?

Is there any part of that statement you can relate to? Boy, I can. I bet you can too. In reality, I can’t say I’ve lost everything, but I have experienced periods of enormous loss. And by God’s mercy I’ve received many things restored back into my life. Those reclaimed losses are usually the first things that come to mind when someone asks me what I’m grateful for: my eyesight, hot water, my own home, a husband who comes home at night…you get the point.

Do you remember the Bible story in Luke 17 of the ten lepers? All ten received complete healing, but only one came back to thank Jesus. I love to imagine the scene. This motely looking crew shouts from several feet away, “Master have mercy!” Jesus instructs them to make their way to the priest. I see them one by one look down at their hands and other limbs, then up to Jesus and then down at their hands again. They give each other a sly sideways expression as if to say, “Is it my imagination or are my hands as soft as a baby’s bottom?” As their new reality begins sinking in, from the guttural depths of their being they let out a long, loud “whoop!”. After slapping a few high fives and passing out a hug to the nearest comrade, one by one they turn to run toward the Temple. Soon the whole group’s back is to Jesus with dust billowing up behind them.

Then in the midst of the commotion it appears as if one of the pack has slowed and is falling behind. Soon he comes to a dead stop. While almost being trampled by those passing him by, the man turns back slowly as if some miraculous discovery has dawned on him. For a few seconds he seems frozen in time oblivious to the ruckus surrounding him. In the midst of his joy and relief he almost failed to thank the One who changed his life forever. Through the dust cloud he notices Jesus still standing there. It’s not too late! And then like a ball shot from a cannon, he sprints toward the feet of Jesus! His knees hit the earth first and the rest of his body follows suit. His words mingle with sand and dirt as his face bows as low to the ground as possible and spill out thanks to the One who restored what he thought he had lost. An amazing scene indeed.

God has done some pretty miraculous things in my life and yet like the other nine how easily I forget. I have a tendency to remember all the things I’ve lost – but today – I want to be the one who remembers what I’ve received. Granted, many people and things may have been removed from your life as well, but I’d venture to say that countless blessings have been added too. Thank him for all that you have! “Come into his presence with singing and into His courts with praise.” Psalm 100. God loves a thankful heart. He notices them.

Maybe you’ll find like I did, the more you thank God, the more you discover you have to be thankful for! Thankfulness; it’s crazy like that!

Hope & Glory! to You ~ Love

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment