Monday, March 9, 2015

How to cope when fear comes…


This time of year bombards me with flash backs from my youth. Every Spring Break my church loaded up the big yellow school bus full of teenagers and college kids destined for Daytona Beach. Our mission? To spend the next three days witnessing to all the college kids partying their little heads off. Just to be clear, that wasn’t the only thing that came off during that week. We, however, appeared on the scene fully clothed. For the girls, that meant at least a cap sleeve and skirts or dresses to the knee.  I’m guessing by now you get the potentially humiliating circumstances and conversations looming before us each day…ah yes.

 
It was my first year. Day one and two on the beach, though exhausting from all the courage mustered and spiritual warfare (not to mention the heat) beamed success.  I learned the way to survive out there was not to think about anything other than the mission.  Don’t pick and choose to whom you will speak.  Just talk to the first person you see and go for it.  As a result, many people heard the gospel and each group member arrived back at the hotel in one piece with great victories to share.

On the third day and final day my team transferred from the beach to the shopping district.  We would be stationed on sidewalks next to surf shops and seafood restaurants with cars and people buzzing in search of their next pursuit of happiness.

Driving from the hotel to our assigned location each day always included a bit of fear. OK so maybe on occasion I had hoped for a HUGE DOWN POUR TO DRIVE EVERYONE OFF THE BEACH! (What, did I just say that?) Naturally.  It’s not everyday you enter a half naked party zone fully clothed with a New Testament in your hand. But on this final day, the only cloud in sight rested right above my head. Fear dowsed me like a heavy storm cloud filled with magic potion. It drenched my soul leaving me paralyzed like a stone statue that allowed only my eyes to move.  Fear directed my sight like a remote control to the fast lane around me.

Flashing billboards and sun-kissed, attractive packs of college kids occupied my vision. Their agenda didn’t include thinking about what would happen to them if they died tonight.  With credit cards stashed close by, shopping, eating and flirting dominated their itineraries. At least when the Spring Breakers were on the beach they had reached their destination with no place to go. But now they were on the move. Who would want to stop and talk to a Bible thumping chick with the framer’s tan in a ridiculous outfit? 

Fear’s remote control captured my imagination and starting flipping the channels. What if a packed car pulled up and snatched me away thinking it would be fun to see how this naive church girl could handle a thrill ride in the real world?  I had heard stories. What if a mob of kids just swallowed me up in their midst and forced me to…click, click… away it went.

I couldn’t move.  I couldn’t talk. I couldn’t stop all the degrading and horrible imaginations. My chin began to quiver. What in the world was I doing?  Why was I giving up my Spring Break for this?  Was I crazy?  I just wanted to go home.

My team’s adult chaperone happened to be my Aunt Karen.  I confessed to her I had no idea what happened between breakfast and this moment, but fear gripped me like a boa constrictor.  I didn’t think I could get out of the van this time. 

And that’s when she pulled it out… my new favorite verse. 

Gently, compassionately, boldly, she said, “Rebecca, the Bible says that God has not given you the spirit of fear, but of power, of love and of a sound mind. So if God didn’t give you this fear, who do you think did?” 

Light bulb moment!

Almost as quickly as it descended, God’s word exposed the lies and made fear evaporate like the mirage it really is.  Instead of cute girls with short skirts and perfect hair, I recognized the empty eyes and hollow laughter of a soul wondering if anyone really cared about them.  Instead of guys with muscle shirts and flashing smiles, I saw hearts desperate to measure up.

With new understanding and God’s promise fresh on my heart, I stepped out of the van claiming the boldness and pluck that belonged to me. The Sword of Truth had won the day!

But that was then.  This is now. (Profound, I know.) Today is a new day.  Many fears still threaten. They always will because fear is one of the Enemy’s greatest weapons. Satan is a liar and the Father of them. He’ll use every lie and deception, every imagination possible in hopes to frighten and control you and me.

Do you have a fear gripping you from doing something you know God is calling you to do?  Don’t be alarmed by it and by all means don’t give in to it.  That’s the Enemy’s specialty. His only hope is to deceive and intimidate.  See, he knows he cannot stop the truth.  His only hope is to make us stop believing the truth.
So let’s choose God’s promise over Satan’s fear.  There is power, love and a sound mind waiting for us if we’ll accept! 
II Timothy 1:7




No comments:

Post a Comment