Monday, March 2, 2015

WHAT TO DO WHEN THE OTHER GUY GETS THE CREDIT…



You remember the saying about how much could get done if no one cared who got the credit.  We all clap, nod our heads and say, “Boy, isn’t that the truth! Who cares who gets the credit?” Usually we say that when we just got the credit…


You’ve been there before haven’t you? (Please tell me you know the feeling so I’m not hanging on a limb out here.) You invest a ton of blood, sweat and tears.  You determine not to give up regardless of the numerous times you discover one more way not to do it. Finally a solid foundation begins to gel and things start clicking. Then out of nowhere, someone else swoops in, takes the ball and runs it into the end zone. The crowd cheers wildly, (or barks if you’re a Georgia fan) chanting the ball carriers praise.  Meanwhile, you stand at the 4o yard line trying to grasp what just happened.  You realize no one cares that he’s in the end zone because of your hard work and sacrifice.

I know it absolutely shouldn’t matter.  We’re all on the same team for goodness’ sake.  So why do I feel a tinge of something yuck in my stomach when the crowd chants the other guys name? 

One day I decided instead of walking around with this weird unsettled feeling I’d hit it head on. So I asked God to help me be honest with Him and understand why I felt so edgy about this. To my surprise, the answer came bursting forth from my heart before I had time to make it pass the  “A Good Christian Wouldn’t Think This” checkpoint. I spit out, “Well… I know I’ll never get the credit for the work I’ve done.” 

Oh how I hated to admit it. I sounded like an ungrateful child with arms crossed and a hanging lower lip. All for something silly like not being picked for line leader that day.

I needed to scrape this gunk out of the bottom of my heart, so I kept pressing in.  I said it out loud.  “I’m sad because… I’ll never get the credit.”  Hearing it from my voice shocked my ears.  I said it again a little slower, “I’ll never get the credit… get the credit” 

The Holy Spirit whispered to me, “Did you hear what you just said? You want credit.”
“Yes, I know.  It sounds funny,” I replied.
“Rebecca, what exactly do you want credit for? Uh, silence on my end.
“You do realize that credit is only needed for a debt you owe.”
 “Or a rainy day fund.”  I added quickly.
“Yes, that’s true,” He said. “But you owe no debt, and you definitely don’t need an emergency fund. (I thought I heard Him squelch a chuckle.  Then He got real serious, tender like.) I paid for every bit of your debt Myself on the cross.  I made you accepted and right the moment you trusted Me as Savior. “
“And just to be clear,” He continued, “you can’t stock up on any amount of ‘credit’ that will make me love you more or less!  You are debt free, My love. The only debt you owe is love. That’s all I ask of you. Just love.”

Ah!  Suddenly the light of God's truth pierced through the fog and the lie had no place to hide. How freeing! I don’t need to stockpile brownie points or prove anything to anyone!  I don’t need credit to establish my worth or value. I am debt free.

What moments before seemed so valuable now felt more like worthless Monopoly money.  It really doesn’t matter who gets the “credit”.  My debt is extinguished! 

But God wasn’t finished…

“Besides My child, where do you think you got all of these creative ministry ideas and problem solving solutions?  What, like, you just thought of them one day and I said, ‘Ah, gee, Rebecca, why didn’t I think of that’?”

How silly of me.  Even if I did get “credit” it’s really not mine to receive. That breath I just took and the next one…yep from God. More fog lifted and I began to see clearer from His perspective.  Ministry didn’t start with me, nor end with me. By some bizarre privilege, we’re allowed to be part of God’s work. What an unbelievable pleasure and treat!  

He continued, “Honey, relax.  I love you. And My love is not based on what you do. So instead of worrying about credit that doesn’t apply, go out with joy.  Live free and light.  Love people like I love you.  Let them know if they’ll trust in Me, they can be free too!”

“Just love the people, Rebecca. You already have all the credit you’ll ever need!”

Read Ephesians 1 and be blessed. 





No comments:

Post a Comment