Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Not Very Glamorous

Not Very Glamorous

Hebrews 6:10

Hello ~

I love it when Ronnie needs me – “Hey, Honey, I need you to clear your schedule on Tuesday. We’re going to feed the homeless…Hey Babe, I need your thoughts on a speech I’ve got to give next week... I need you to go with me to a fundraiser dinner…etc…. Unfortunately those requests are not the most frequent ones.

Usually the tasks he asks me to do are quite mundane and feel more like an interruption than a privilege. “Are you going to be able to get me some more razors today? Will you please sew this button on my shirt? He loves it when I fix his morning coffee the night before; a chore I dread doing every night…not very glamorous and yet in his eyes, very important.

Ya know, I think I’ve often had the same attitude with God. Who doesn’t love thinking that God has asked them to accomplish some great and mighty feat? It’s easier to work at mock speed with your hair on fire when an important vision is at stake. But we all know that life can be so…routine. What about being faithful in the drudgery of the same ole thing; the seemingly unimportant assignments? Keeping your home in order, being friendly to the new person, being in your ministry week in and week out…anybody with me here?

God promised He…”is not unrighteous to forget your labor of love, which you have showed toward his name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister.” Hebrews 10:6

There is no hidden thing that will not be revealed. He sees the mundane responsibilities that you faithfully fulfill. Maybe it doesn’t feel very glamorous…yet in His eyes, it’s very significant. Keep up the good work!

Hope & Glory! to You ~ Love

Rebecca

7 comments:

  1. This was very good and true. Mundane and unglamorous does not mean that it isn't important. I enjoyed it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God always rewards us with a special blessing when we are willing to do the mundane and unglamorous stuff in life. And WHO doesn't want to tap into a blessing????

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great way to look at it - that we are blessed just by having the mundane to complete. My niece and I were just co-miserating about laundry but this time last year, we had just discovered my Little Jordan's lump above his knee that ended up being removed and biopsied and was benign. So, those grass stains he gets on the knees of those pants everyday are pretty much the greatest blessing ever for me and I will remind myself of that next time I am spot-cleaning them instead of complaining!! (I might buy more navy colored though next year!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thought, Rebecca. Life can easily fall into a rut, but if we stopped following through with what we do, it would be hard on those around us. Thanks for the encouragement today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your thoughts and comments. I know it may sound crazy since I wrote it, but I need to hear your encouragement to follow through!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this powerful and true reminder! I want my 'everyday moments' to be lived fully for Him...with a truly humble serving heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comment Nicole - yes, me too! There are far more of those than the glamorous ones :) But I believe God's heart skips a beat when He sees us embrace them as wholly as the fancy ones! Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete