Saturday, December 25, 2010

Just want to talk to him for a minute...

Hi All ~
I found my self, along with half the population of Florida, converging onto the Orlando scene this week for some Christmas fun at the Ice Exhibit. Actually it had nothing to do with fun and everything to do with spending the day with my mom, my sister in law and my niece Brooklyn. The day didn’t go as we had planned, but to me the real treat was hanging with the fam...

The exhibit’s marketing scheme was classic amusement park. As we walked out of the display (once we made it past the gift shop) we had the option of getting a picture with Santa. My goal was to get to the free hot chocolate line as quick as possible with hopes that some feeling would return to my fingers and toes. But heading out the door, I noticed no one following me. My mom and I had gotten separated from Tonya and Brooklyn. After a few minutes of searching my mom found them. Brooklyn had gotten permission from Santa’s elf to stand in the Santa line. She didn’t care a hoot about getting her picture with him. She just wanted to talk to him for a minute!

I stood off to the side watching my little niece, hands in pockets, her caramel colored hair spilling out of her multicolored stocking cap, waiting patiently at the bottom of the steps for Santa to invite her on stage with him. I wondered what she would say. She too had been asking about the hot chocolate, so I knew whatever she wanted to tell him ranked higher on her list than warming her tootsies.

Finally Santa turned Brooklyn’s way and waved her on up. I held my breath as she walked alone up the steps and across the stage. It felt so ceremonial, so special. As she approached, Santa leaned over to look her square in the eyes as she proceeded to tell him...she never would tell us what she told him...whatever her heart desired. His eyes never wandered from her face. She had his undivided attention.

I caught myself wishing that were me up there talking to someone who wanted to know my deepest desires. And someone who would have the wisdom to tell me what to do with them; someone who could look deep within my soul and know the ideas and questions I struggle to articulate.

The truth is I do have Someone like that! He happens to be the Creator of the universe, not someone earning a little Christmas money with a part- time Santa job. My Heavenly Father cares deeply about what concerns me. I don’t have to wait in line, or pay to spend time with Him. He’s never too busy (It’s usually the other way around) He listens intently and encourages me to pour out my soul to Him. Psalm 62:8 All of this….because Christ came down!

I love that mental picture I have now of Brook and Santa…Sometimes, if you’re like me, because we can’t see God, we forget that He is much more interested in you and me than “Santa” ever was in Brooklyn. I want to be like a little child and pour out my heart to Him; like Brooklyn did to that strange man dressed in a big red suit with a fuzzy beard. I pray that soon Brooklyn will understand there is no one who loves her more than Jesus. I pray she will embrace Him as her Savior and love Him all the days of her life!

Merry Christmas Everyone ~
Hope & Glory! To You ~Love

Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. wow Rebecca, this brougth me to tears....It touched my heart. Thank you! This year it is my desire to be whole hearted in love with Jesus, and to climb in His lap and share my fears, hopes, and dreams with Him,the one who knows me, who created me, who desires to know my heart. I pray create in me a new heart my Lord, May I know and trust Him more...Angie T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing Angie. Your prayer is mine as well. At the end of the day that is all that matters :)

    ReplyDelete