Sunday, March 27, 2011

I Almost Missed It!

I Almost Missed It

I Timothy 1:7

Hello Everyone ~

I remember the Friday night well. My mom had come from Jacksonville to visit me in Atlanta. We had planned on going to see a play at the local community theater after dinner, but a busy week had left us exhausted. And did I mention the torrential down pour of rain? We both love plays, but with our heavy eyelids and the H2O quickly and violently descending on the roof, staying home started to sound like the best after dinner entertainment I could think of. Getting ready for the play I had this strange battle going on inside; and an unnecessary battle at that. No one required me to go to this play. No one expected me there. No one would even know if we went. Yet as much as I didn’t want to go, I continued to get ready, almost as if I were moving against my will!

Finally inside the theater, we found our seats, only to endure a somewhat serious and rather boring play. But for me, there’s just something about being in a theater that gets my juices flowing! As slowly as the plot moved, I loved being there. I noticed in the program an advertisement for their upcoming auditions. My mom jumped on it. “Rebecca! Do it. Why not? You’ve got nothing to loose! Just try it!” She was right. I had no life outside of work. Deep inside I ached to give it a try, but I just wasn’t sure.

After days of struggling, I finally identified my hesitation to tryout as nothing other then fear of failure. I knew what the Bible said about fear. “God has not given you the spirit of fear, but of power, of love and of a sound mind.” I knew that if God hadn’t given me the fear then it must have come from… you know who! I concluded that fear did not qualify as a good enough reason not to try. Suddenly this little decision about trying out for a part became about trusting God and taking risks.

Eventually, God won out and I did audition for the play. I can’t begin to express how thankful I am that I went. To my surprise I landed a great role and had the absolute time of my life! But you know what? I almost missed it.

Well… that was then. This is now! (so profound, eh?) God still hasn’t given the spirit of fear. So I ask myself and I ask you - what are you holding out on because you’re afraid? You just may be missing the time of your life!

Hope & Glory! to You ~ Love

Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. That was awesome, thank you for sharing that because I needed to be reminded of that exact idea.
    ~Jenifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing Jennifer :) I need it too! I just told God today - thank you for helping me not let the fear I felt keep me from a new project He has on my plate right now

    ReplyDelete